Re: Monetary decimal separators

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 03:56:43 CDT

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Antoine Leca wrote:

    > On Tuesday, September 13th, 2005 14:07Z Elliotte Harold wrote:
    >> Does anyone happen to know of a locale where these two
    >> values are different?
    >
    > Here in Spain, sometimes a quote ' is used as separator.

    I wonder if that means the ASCII apostrophe, or the right single quotation
    mark, or something else. Using anything like that as a monetary
    decimal separator is interesting, since it conflicts with the convention
    (applied elsewhere for numbers > 999 in general) of using such a character
    as thousands separator. It's a confusion comparable to the two uses of
    "." and "," in numbers.

    > The normal
    > ("official") is the comma, so it is definitively "colloquial" use

    I think it is rather common to use _some_ character different from the
    normal decimal separator as a monetary decimal separator, in "colloquial"
    use (informal language), and previously in formal language too. When I was
    young, it was not uncommon to see monetary amounts in the style "2:45"
    but numbers in general in the style "2,45". I guess such practices have
    become less common, as the euro has been introduced. I don't think I've
    often seen "2:45 euros" or anything like that.

    I was somewhat surprised at seeing an _official_ practice of using a
    monetary decimal separator different from decimal separator described and
    recommended in a rather new document: The Swedish recommendations to
    public administration, or "Myndigheternas skrivregler", issued in November
    2004, recommend the use of ":" as a decimal separator (though they
    mention, in parentheses, the use of "," as well). They can be found via
    the intro page http://www.regeringen.se/sb/d/253/a/33329
    and rules are in clause 9.5 Penningbelopp, at
    http://www.regeringen.se/content/1/c6/03/33/29/b0cc0c31.pdf#page=65
    (The rule is formulated in terms of the crown, "krona", and its
    hundredths, "ören", but there is nothing there that says that other
    currencies should be presented differently.)