RE: Monetary decimal separators

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 05:03:24 CDT

    Jukka "Yucca" Korpela wrote:

    > I was somewhat surprised at seeing an _official_ practice of using a

    I'm not surprised at all. ":" is what is customarily used for this, and
    has
    been for a long time. (In addition "00" as monetary decimal part is
    usually
    written as "-"; one or other kind of dash, en dash would probably be
    best.)

    > monetary decimal separator different from decimal separator described
    and
    > recommended in a rather new document: The Swedish recommendations to
    > public administration, or "Myndigheternas skrivregler", issued in
    November
    > 2004, recommend the use of ":" as a decimal separator (though they
    > mention, in parentheses, the use of "," as well). They can be found
    via

    Using "," for that is more of a fallback, since computer systems may
    generate that output. But note section 9.5.3 on the same page.

    > the intro page http://www.regeringen.se/sb/d/253/a/33329
    > and rules are in clause 9.5 Penningbelopp, at
    > http://www.regeringen.se/content/1/c6/03/33/29/b0cc0c31.pdf#page=65

            /kent k