Re: Monetary decimal separators

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 05:36:03 CDT

    On Wednesday, September 14th, 2005 08:56Z Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Antoine Leca wrote:
    >
    >> On Tuesday, September 13th, 2005 14:07Z Elliotte Harold wrote:
    >>> Does anyone happen to know of a locale where these two
    >>> values are different?
    >>
    >> Here in Spain, sometimes a quote ' is used as separator.
    >
    > I wonder if that means the ASCII apostrophe, or the right single
    > quotation mark, or something else.

    It does matter _only_ to the one which wants to encode it.

    Remember that neither Castilian nor Galician use apostrophe (I do not know
    for Basque); that the genuine quote in Spain is «» which evolved, due to
    foreign influence and keyboard limitations, to "; and that primes are not
    used much; so for about 80% of the population this is the only use of this
    mark they know of.

    And if it were your question really, it is usually a bit slanted but the
    straight style is common also, and sometimes curved. It is often drawn
    exactly as a comma superior.

    > Using anything like that as a monetary decimal separator is
    > interesting, since it conflicts with the convention (applied
    > elsewhere for numbers > 999 in general) of using such a character
    > as thousands separator.

    Yes, but it is not common here; period is customary for this use (to the
    point many people use it for years, even contrary to the official standard
    for typing.)

    Antoine