Re: French accented letters (was: Re: Monetary decimal separators)

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 13:14:18 CDT

    On Tuesday, September 20th, 2005 14:22Z Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Since the letter ae, æ/Æ, popped up, I think I need to ask why it is
    > considered as a letter used in French.

    Because there are genuine French words (of remote Latin origin and of
    scientific/pedantic use mainly) which use it. By the way, in French it is
    not a letter, but a digraph, like O.
    Nowadays, the difference between Æ (as in et cætera) and say Ñ (as in cañon)
    or O (in words of Japanese origin) is pretty moot, IMO.

    > I noticed it in the CLDR material, where it is listed as a _necessary_

    About whether it is "necessary", I cannot comment, that is not my material.
    It looks like French people are perfectly able to write French without Æ, O,
    Y, É and so on.

    > I haven't seen it in any description of French orthography, or
    > actually used in French.

    Not-completely-brocken dictionnaires use it normally, if you take the pain
    to search for it. It is collated as A+E, so « æschne » occurs after adition
    and before Africain.

    > I'm still puzzled by the French keyboard. It even has an almost unused
    > key, the one on the left right, for producing just superscript 2.

    The additionnal key (46th? 48th?) is useless in a number of keyboard layout.
    My guess is that it was added at a later stage, because "others" locales
    needed it badly. French AZERTY was standardized much earlier, so it was far
    too late to re-educate the legions of typists, to make profit of it (also,
    before the marketing era, it was not common to waste piles of still useful
    typewriters. It was a different philosophy then.)

    Antoine