Re: (Very) plain 7-bit ASCII in US placenames

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@nic.fr)
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 06:03:55 CST

    On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 12:16:42PM +0100,
     Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> wrote
     a message of 42 lines which said:

    > A US federal body in charge of standardizing the spelling of
    > geographic names

    It is quite common in France (where the composed characters are much
    more common) to have *some* official bodies unable to deal with
    anything else than US-ASCII.

    More funny, it depends on the location. The registry of companies, for
    instance, accept composed characters in some departments but not in
    all.

    My ID spells my first name "Stéphane" (which is correct) while my
    driver's licence spells "Stephane" probably because the driving
    licences bureau used an US information system...