Re: Lao Letter Fo Sung and Lao Letter Fo Tam

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 11:56:18 CST

    Andrew West wrote, on Wednesday, October 19, 2548 BE:

    > On 18/10/05, Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> The current version of the standard, TIS 620-2533, is available on-line
    >> at
    >> http://www.nectec.or.th/it-standards/std620/std620.htm , in Thai.

    > Yes, I saw this page, but as you say it does not seem to cover Lao. I
    > do wonder why Thai is based on TIS 620-253 and Lao is based on TIS
    > 620-2529, when both seem to be basically the same standard for Thai
    > character encoding.

    2529 BE = 1986 AD
    2533 BE = 1990 AD

    The was no change in the encoding.

    > It would seem that Lao is not directly based on
    > TIS 620-2529, but on a Lao mapping to TIS 620-2529. I would still like
    > to know where the Unicode Lao names originally came from, if anyone
    > knows.

    I'm rather surprised that Lao and Thai are distinct scripts. It would have
    been nice to have had Lao mai kon available for Thai spelling reform.
    Still, as Thai yo yak (U+0E22) is Lao nyo (U+0E8D), not Lao yo (U+0EA2),
    perhaps it has saved some hassles. Where will Indic NYO go when the gaps
    are filled in?

    Richard.