Re: LAO LETTER FO SUNG... wikipedia

From: Guy Steele (Guy.Steele@sun.com)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 10:33:10 CST

    On Oct 20, 2005, at 7:32 PM, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > There DOES NOT exist any definitive knowledge that is considered as
    > THE truth for everyone.

    I am a big fan of the Wikipedia, but I have to ask:
    is the statement you have just made to be considered
    definitive? Is it THE truth for everyone?

    It's so easy to fall into traps of logical inconsistency.

    Perhaps better to say: the Wikipedia organization
    assumes, as a matter of policy, that there does
    not exist any definitive knowledge that is considered
    as THE truth for everyone.

    One weakness of the Wikipedia is that it is hard to
    judge the expertise of the contributors, in part because
    it is hard to determine exactly who contributed what.
    Maybe Joseph Smartfellow wrote the original article
    on chronosynclastic neo-Aramaic hermeneutics,
    but did he check it over since Herman Wiseguy came
    along and inserted four sentences (in four different
    places in the article) that many experts might consider
    crackpot?

    --Guy Steele