Re: ISO 15924 and differences in French names of scripts

From: JFC (Jefsey) Morfin (jefsey@jefsey.com)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 11:08:08 CST

    On 07:55 26/10/2005, Samuel Thibault said:
    >Denis Jacquerye, le Wed 26 Oct 2005 06:30:29 +0200, a écrit :
    > > The French locale in CLDR itself contains this disagreement of orthography.
    > > In http://unicode.org/cldr/data/common/main/fr.xml we have "Iles
    > > d'Åland" but "Îles Cocos".
    >
    >Hum, for the "Iles" case ("Island"), the word itself always has a
    >circumflex accent. And IIRC, these days, one should put accents on
    >capital letters, so Îles would be preferred. For other word I don't
    >know.

    Dear Samuel,
    as always in these man/machine systems, the question is to know who
    is the master and who is the slave. The machine systemic being much
    simpler than the human systemic, system builders (as cldr) tend to
    prefer the machine systemic and to make the machine the master.

    Apart from the fact that this is not my ethic, experience shows this
    permits rigid solutions to develop which always conflicts somewhere.
    This is less quick when you consider computers and printed documents.
    This is quasi immediate in networking (ex. this list) because by
    nature in plugging people together, you need some flexibility to
    accomodate the various software development, and because the machines
    are differently driven by people who are unaware they are to obey their tool.

    Some people want to put an accent. Other do not. Some who do, also
    need not to put one when they quote the others. This kind of debate
    is when you want to interfere with your own rules in the life of the
    others. The greatness of technology is to be able to support all
    that. And to permit one, in his context, to have accent, and the
    other, in his context, not to have accent when they exchange.

    This is not simple. But there is a pre-requisite. Not to tell
    developpers (standards) not to develop the support of it.

    Networked languages are as much specific as written languages, spoken
    languages, signed languages. Probably more as they call for
    intelligent servicing.

    But one thing is for sure: I am the only reference for my own
    Franglish language ("jfc-latn-fr") . And the machine is to do what I
    want ... at least as long I can in-plug it.

    jfc