Re: Roman Numerals (was Re: Improper grounds for rejection of proposal N2677)

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 08:52:42 CST

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    > I think it is clear that the better, more generic representation
    > of superscript and subscript elements is via styles.

    I'm a bit surprised at the unconditionality of the statement, but
    I guess it's to be understood in a proper context and with suitable
    caveats.

    The use of superscript or subscript characters versus formatting or
    styles or markup is a rather complex question, and I think the
    best answer is "it depends". In particular, formatting, styles,
    or markup may get lost in many ways - simple cut and paste may
    turn 2<sup>2</sup> to 22. Similarly, in a phonetic notation,
    k<sup>h</sup> turns to wrong information if the superscripting is
    removed. On the other hand, changing 1<sup>st</sup> to 1st
    should not disturb anyone, except perhaps esthetically.

    > And this
    > is the case, *even* though there are encoded characters for
    > superscript and subscript digits. Those are compatibility
    > characters in the first place, and in the second are
    > *convenience* characters for the one-off usages of occasional
    > superscripts in text.

    The use of subscript and superscript characters is surely limited
    by many factors, including
    - their limited repertoire
    - the even more limited repertoire that is supported by commonly
       available fonts
    - impossibility of using nested subscripts or superscripts
    - impossibility of affecting the vertical position of the subscript
       or superscript, except very coarsely by the choice of the font.
    Yet, within their limitations, they do a fine job. You can use
    them in many contexts where formatting, styles, or markup cannot
    be used, or should not be used.