Re: Roman Numerals (was Re: Improper grounds for rejection of proposal N2677)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 16:14:31 CST

    From: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
    > The use of superscript or subscript characters versus formatting or
    > styles or markup is a rather complex question, and I think the
    > best answer is "it depends". In particular, formatting, styles,
    > or markup may get lost in many ways - simple cut and paste may
    > turn 2<sup>2</sup> to 22. Similarly, in a phonetic notation,
    > k<sup>h</sup> turns to wrong information if the superscripting is
    > removed. On the other hand, changing 1<sup>st</sup> to 1st
    > should not disturb anyone, except perhaps esthetically.

    Tip: for HTML you can use:
    When markup is available, the ^ character won't be displayed and the
    exponent will be effectively in superscript, but for copy/pasting in
    plain-text, it should be there so you'll get "2^2"...

    I think this could work as well for
    (but you'll get "k^h" with a symbol in the middle of a word, still better
    than just "kh" as it preserves the intended semantics.)

    You would probably not use this trick for "1st", but it would be useful for
    because without it, you get get "No one or two issues" with the wrong
    meaning.