Åland

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 17:24:21 CST

    > > (http://dev.icu-project.org/cgi-bin/locale-bugs?findid=901) that *"Iles d’Åland"
    > > (one code) uses a different style than the others. This is

    Regarding this particular case, I don't quite see why the names for this "territory"
    in many languages should include "Islands"/"Îles"/etc. Many "island" territories do
    not include that particular fact in their name (though some do), and in the language
    spoken in Åland, it is just called "Åland", usually not including mentioning the
    islandsness.

    B.t.w. the draft Greek name in CLDR 1.3 for Åland is not even transcribed to
    Greek. But how to best transcribe Å into Greek, I do not know. Just using a
    plain ALPHA seems inadequate. OMEGA with acute?

            /kent k