Re:French usage re syllabics

From: suzanne mccarthy (suzmccarth@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Nov 05 2005 - 01:02:04 CST

    I have continued to feel uncertain about my answer 'l'ecriture syllabique'. It seemed to me that it should be simply 'le syllabique' in French. (Grammatical sensitivities aside)

    I consulted these two trilingual online dictionaries and also emailed an author of the East Cree project. She responded 'le syllabique' as do these two dictionaries.

    http://www.livingdictionary.com/index.jsp
    http://www.collectionscanada.ca/naskapi/r24-102-e.php

    http://www.collectionscanada.ca/naskapi/r24-119-f.php?uid=1729&uidc=ID&queryString=kwq%3Dsyllabique%26kwf%3DTRUE%26maxRslts%3D500ð

    Syllabary/syllabaire as such are not found in these dictionaries.

    Since I am not myself part of the user community I am only commenting on a translation -nothing more.

    However, I think this raises a fundamental question. Are members of the user community usually consulted about such things as how their writing system is labeled?

    Suzanne