Re: Burmese Script in IDN (was: Hebrew script in IDN)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 04:18:10 CST

    From: "Richard Wordingham" <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>
    > Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >> If this does not change the semantic, then even that ZWNJ can be excluded
    >> from IDN: you can use the syntaxic ASCII hyphen to separate the two
    >> tokens, instead of using ZWNJ.
    >
    > It chan_ges the se_man_tics no more than wri_ting like this.

    You said Burmese was essentially monosyllabic, so this change looks more
    like:
    it_changes_the_semantic_no_more_like_this.

    If I understand your statement, removing the ZWNJ would only affect the
    spacing of monosyllabic words normally ended by ZWNJ. But then one must ask
    whever all words end with ZWNJ: Of course not!

    So suppose that in the statement above, all ending 'e' may create ligatures
    with the following consonnant, and we had to insert an extra ZWNJ to
    separate them in English, and we were not using spaces, we would normally
    write:

    ItChangesThe<ZWNJ>SemanticsNoMore<ZWNJ>LikeThis.

    With the IDN rule, dropping ZWNJ would render the following incorrectly, and
    possibly with different interpretation where two separate words would
    combine into one:

    ItChangesThesemanticsNoMorelikeThis.

    (note the capitals/smalldifference here just to say where the words are
    delimited, and in this example one could see the word "these" followed by
    the plural word "mantics", if it exists).

    Changing ZWNJ into a hyphen would be:

    ItChangesThe-SemanticsNoMore-LikeThis.

    Am I wrong?