Re: Globalized lists

From: JFC (Jefsey) Morfin (jefsey@jefsey.com)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 05:32:45 CST

    At 11:20 13/12/2005, Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:
    >Use "internationalization." ("Globalization" is the forcing of "free
    >trade" on countries all over the world.)

    You use here "Globalization" in the political meaning inherited from
    the misunderstanding I noted. This misunderstanding is in fact the
    result of a slight difference of understanding of the world "global",
    between American and other languages. Everyone identifies "global"
    with the whole Globe of the Earth. But, while other languages tend
    to consider it made of all its parts, the American language considers
    a single Globe, what others would call "universal".

    For example, Mr. José Bové is against the Globalization (American
    meaning) and for the Globalisation (French/English meaning). This
    difference leads to misunderstandings or to irritation (as the one
    you note and the one I noted). Once you accept there may be different
    Globalizations by different systems which may harmonize, you have
    addressed most of the confusion.

    Anyway the definition of the Globalization I gave summarize a
    definition given a few weeks ago by Mark Davis on this list (I hope I
    did not betray it, in adding "langtags" [the item where we oppose]
    and key word). In the Unicode context it seems very clear. However
    you may also understand the whole Unicode context in different ways,
    looping on the preceding problem: is there one single or multiple
    global contexts? I think there are many.

    jfc