Re: Upper case U+0364 for U+0308

From: Mike Ayers (mayers@celequest.com)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 11:39:34 CST

    David Starner wrote:
    > On 1/12/06, Otto Stolz <Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de> wrote:
    >
    >>There are fonts whose U looks like a modern V -- and vice versa,
    >>e. g., <http://www.schloesser-magazin.de/de/objekte/re/re_muensterb.php>:
    >>the second line reads "solvere vincula corporis".
    >
    > I don't know about German, but in early printed English, u and v are
    > positional variants of each other.

            That tradition was evolved from Latin. Since "solvere vincula
    corporis" is Latin, not German, the "u" shown is merely a typographical
    variant of "v".

    > To transcribe them as the modern
    > u/v would be a spelling change that would take intelligence.

            ...and a complete disrespect for the original form. Better to translate.

            Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I think that there is a
    word on the third line of the lower section beginning with "xpi"...? Is
    this perhaps Greek ("Christ"?) commingled with the Latin?

    /|/|ike