[almost OT] Music score with RTL lyrics

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 08:27:36 CST

    Hello,

    we (some members of "Die Klingende Brücke"
    <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klingende_Br%C3%BCcke>)
    are planning a series of small song books (brochures),
    and we will present all the songs (from various European
    languages) in their respective original languages,
    and scripts.

    One of the songs assigned for the 1st volume is in Yiddish,
    which is -- as you may already know -- written from right
    to left. Now my question is: How are RTL lyrics (particularly
    in Yiddish) handled, commonly?
    - Are the music notes written from right to left?
    - Or are the syllables written under conventional LTR notes,
       but the characters within each syllable from right to left?
    Has anybody an example (possibly a scan) to share?

    We are planning to present our other, non-latin samples
    with lyrics in both originial script and Latin trans-
    literation, in the same musical score (cf. attached
    example). But how could we handle this with a RTL script?
    We could,
    - provide two separate scores, in original script
       and in transscription, respectively,
    - or we could write each syllable under its respective
       note, but with different writing directions within
       the syllables (viz. RTL for the original, and LTR
       for the transcription).
    What do you deem the aptest way to do it?

    Best wishes,
        Otto Stolz

    Xekina.png