Re: corrections to P-list ?

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 14:36:20 CST

    On 02/03/06, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
    > From: "E. Keown" <k_isoetc@yahoo.com>
    >
    > Apparently those Japanese pages (linked from the http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/ home page, which is the current website for ISO/IEC - JTC1/SC2) were not updated since 2004-10-07.

    Nevertheless, the P and O membership pages were updated in January
    2006 (and I don't see any date on the membership pages either).

    > Diyou try to write to the Secretariat? See for example the bottomof this webpage presenting its last report: http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/open/02n3737c.htm about the 13th meeting in Canada... also dated 2004-06-24.
    >
    > It seems that all work in JTC1/SC2 (coded character sets) has been stalled since 2004, the last published standard being ISO 10646:2003 published at end of 2003.

    Philippe really is in fine form today !!

    See <http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/open/meetings.htm> for the SC2
    meeting schedule -- the next one is in April of this year. More
    importantly, see <http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/wg2/docs/meetings> for
    the WG2 meeting schedule.

    See <http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/open/pow.htm> for SC2's programme of
    work, which currently includes ISO/IEC 10646 and ISO/IEC 14651.

    See <http://lucia.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/itscj/servlets/ScmBlt10a?Com_Id=02>
    for a list of SC2 projects currently under ballot.

    Go to <http://lucia.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/itscj/servlets/ScmDoc10?Com_Id=02>
    and click on "Go" to see what SC2 has been up to recently -- twelve
    documents so far this year.

    ISO/IEC 10646:2003/Amd 1:2005 (corresponding to Unicode version 4.1)
    was published in 2005; Amd 2:2006 (corresponding to Unicode 5.0) is in
    the final stages before publication later this year; and Amd.3
    (corresponding to Unicode 5.1) is in its initial stages.

    Contrary to Philippe's misinformed speculation about the death of SC2,
    it is alive and kicking.

    > Does it mean that all international work on 8-bit coded charsets is now terminated, and now performed only at national level for those countries that would still need a 8-bit charset (including for example India for other Brahmic scripts which could be handled by adding more mappings in ISCII), given a recommandation that now all new 8-bit charsets should be defined with a strict mapping in reference to ISO-10646 (this implies that no additional charactercurrently not mapped in ISO 10646 couldnot be added in such charsets, avoiding the additional work for ISO 10646 and Unicode required for compatibility mappings) ?

    Wow, what a long question. I'll leave that one for Philippe to work
    out for himself as homework (clue, try using the internet).

    Andrew