Default rendering of Combining diacritical marks

From: saqqara (saqqara@csi.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 05:19:38 CST

    Windows XP/SP2. When I use COMBINING DOT BELOW with an OpenType font without specific support for the combination (e.g. current release of Times New Roman for most diacritic latin forms) the dot is placed to the bottom left of the character box rather than the centre (e.g. try d or D with the combining dot).

    Am I correct in categorising this as a Windows text rendering bug or am I missing a more subtle point about how Unicode software is expected to deal with this situation?

    Thanks
    Bob Richmond
    www.gameset.com