RE: Default rendering of Combining diacritical marks

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 00:53:26 CST

    Strictly speaking, it is not a bug but rather a limitation in functionality - not a supported feature in that version. In fact, the functionality is supported in part.

    You need three things for such combinations to display correctly: (1) OpenType fonts with special tables needed to support mark positioning, (2) support in the platform for Latin combining marks, and (3) applications that support Latin combining marks. Windows XP/SP2 includes the second item, and at least some of the apps that ship with Windows XP/SP2 (e.g. Notepad, Wordpad, IE) meet the bar for item 3. What's missing is item 1: the fonts that ship with XP/SP2 do not have the tables needed to position combining marks.

    All of the Windows core fonts that will ship with Windows Vista have been updated to include support for combining marks as well as full Unicode 4.1 Latin character coverage (and Greek, etc. - all the fonts that the core fonts already support are updated to 4.1). There are also third-party fonts you can use on XP/SP2 to support combining marks, such as the Doulos and Charis fonts from SIL.

    Peter