character set : imprecise terminology to use for general audience

From: E. Keown (k_isoetc@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 10:16:55 CST

              March 2006

    Hello:

    Thanks to all who wrote in.

    I think that Tim Greenwood understood me the best,
    so I used his note in the Subject line.

    During the dreadful P-debate in 2004 (? how time flies
    when you're having fun), I became more and more aware
    that Semitists and Unicoders can't communicate. At
    all, pretty much, I think.

    So I'm not sure that even *one* Semitic epigrapher
    understood the issues involved.

    That makes it very difficult to collect accurate

    I'm grateful to learn that Unicode has a terminology
    section, but I'm sure that it would have to be heavily
    edited to produce a glossary that a total outsider
    could understand.

    Elaine Keown