RE: character set : imprecise terminology to use for general audience

From: Keutgen, Walter (walter.keutgen@be.unisys.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 06:17:02 CST

    Elaine,

    now I do no longer understand your goal. I.e. what can
    Unicode bring you for your work? I nevertheless answer
    to your below questions.

    You write:

    >I read through the Unicode glossary very quickly. It
    >is not oriented towards Semitic scripts.

    In the first e-mail of the series that I saw, you
    referred to Marc Küster saying that in Germany all
    technical documents have a glossary and you believed
    that it helps unifying the technical language. I
    already answered that it is rather to help the
    readers of a series of related documents to know
    exactly what the words describe. I.e. a way of
    disambiguing. Glossaries attached to documents are
    always turned toward the document. A glossary for the
    Unicode standard is hence necessarily turned toward
    the processing of text in computers. The terms have no
    other meaning than in other standards with the same aim,
    the wording might be other. Unicode adds 2 things: the
    unification of all scripts of the world in one standard
    and the two step mechanism for encoding in abstract
    integer numbers first, then by actual computer
    encodings (bit/byte sequences), in the plural because
    Unicode has several encodings. Of course the definitions
    are suited to that universal text computing goal and
    let us be honest, tainted by the lingua franca English
    and its Latin script. How would we communicate otherwise
    in this forum? If you want to use a glossary somewhere
    else, you unavoidably run into problems i.e. you have to
    adapt it.

    You might find more general definitions in encyclopedias
    and adapt them for your purpose. Begin perhaps by the 25
    I have sent you as most important for you in the belief
    that you are interested in Unicode.

    >Those 2 terms, 'character' and 'glyph' are actually
    >two core terms that I need to define for Semitists.

    Please read in the Unicode standard, Chapter 2
    http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.0.0/ch02.pdf,
    '2.2 Characters, not glyphs' and in
    http://www.unicode.org/standard/principles.html
    'Interpreting Characters and Rendering Glyphs'.

    Best regards

    Walter