Re: Proposal: Sagittal accidentals for microtonal music

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2006 - 15:02:06 CST

    On 3/14/2006 5:55 PM, Keenan Pepper wrote:
    > >From http://users.bigpond.net.au/d.keenan/sagittal/ :
    >
    > "The Sagittal notation system is a comprehensive system for notating
    > musical pitch in all possible scales and tunings - a universal set of
    > microtonal accidentals, equally suited to extended just intonation,
    > equal divisions of the octave (or of any other interval), or any of
    > the non-just non-equal "middle path" tunings or temperaments. It is
    > called Sagittal because, you guessed it, it uses various arrow-like
    > symbols, pointing up or down to indicate raising or lowering of
    > pitch."
    >
    > I think Sagittal should be added to Unicode because it's a complete
    > and usable system,
    I'm no judge of that.
    > it's becoming the de facto standard for microtonal
    > music,
    For any new system, as this apparently is, the question of it's breadth
    of support are crucial. If you can document that statement above, it
    will go a long way to overcome the stigma of "too recently invented"
    that might otherwise attach to this system.

    Unicode characters are forever, notations come (and sometimes go). We
    would not like to standardize anything that's not widely used.
    > and no existing Unicode characters are sufficiently similar to
    > be considered equivalent.

    That appears to be the case, except for some of the harpoon-like arrows,
    so that part of the criteria seems reasonably well satisfied.