Re: [indic] Re: DV Danda

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2006 - 02:06:48 CST

    Omi Azad worot on Monday, April 03, 2006 at 7:07 AM re: DV Danda

    > Richard Wordingham wrote:
    >> It was a request for public input, broadcast on the public Unicode lists,
    >> in response, I think, to Michael Everson's pleas for disunification. I
    >> don't know if a summary of this response is publicly available anywhere.
    >
    > They did nothing my friend.

    That is a libel. The draft Unicode 5.0 code chart for Bengali now says
    don't use U+09E4 and U+09E5, but use 'generic Indic' U+0964 and U+0965
    instead. See
    http://www.unicode.org/Public/5.0.0/charts/CodeCharts-5.0.0d1.pdf . It's a
    big download (9.3 MB). It's not a big change, but it addresses the keyboard
    issue as much as Unicode can.

    > What they did is following ISCII as Michael Everson told in last mail.

    That was the starting point.

    > You are just a user and you fail to argue with me with all the issues I
    > raised.

    I haven't studied the history of the Myanmar encoding. As to the Khmer
    encoding, the marks are not plain vertical lines, and are little different
    to the Thai forms.

    > This is Unicode. I think I need to become a paid member for raising
    > serious issues. Because non-paid issues never get sorted here.

    What is your objection to the unification? Is it recorded in the opening
    discussion document, http://www.unicode.org/review/pr-59.html ? Is it the
    keyboard issue? I had been hoping it was easy to use MKLC, though I have
    read that there are some problems with it.

    Richard.