are Unicode codes somehow specified in official national linguistic literature ? (worldwide)

From: Cristian Secară (orice@secarica.ro)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2006 - 16:58:11 CDT

    I like to know how are the linguistic rules in other countries versus
    Unicode specifications. NOT technical standards, but academic books.

    Specifically: here in Romania, there are two reference books, one that
    treats (among other things) the Romanian alphabet and other that treats
    (among other things) the ortographic and punctuation signs associated
    with the Romanian language and grammar. Both books are edited by the
    Linguistic Institute of the Romanian Academy.

    The problem is that there is no "modern" approach in these books.
    Characters and signs are visually represented, based only on
    typographical glyphs.
    There is only one exception, a written document that describes (in
    words) that our S and T have comma below and not cedilla and that the
    quotation marks are visually represented as 99 down (on opening) and as
    99 up (on closing) (as opposed to 99 66, which was an alternative; this
    issue is still under debate in some forums). That same document states
    that the line for dialog and/or pause is "of same length and longer
    than the hyphen character".

    I like to know – how is this treated in other countries ? Is there any
    reference to Unicode (or ISO/IEC 10646) standards in academic
    literature ? Or perhaps reference to other techincal standards linked
    somehow to Unicode (or ISO/IEC 10646) ?

    Cristi

    --
    Cristian Secară