Re: U+0345 COMBINING GREEK YPOGEGRAMMENI not usable in other scripts as "hook below"?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2006 - 10:00:24 CDT

    From: "Karl Pentzlin" <karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de>
    > When looking at some German dialect writing systems which use a
    > diacritic very similar to the Greek iota subscript, I had the idea
    > that U+0345 COMBINING GREEK YPOGEGRAMMENI could fit for that use.
    >
    > But I suspect that for its casing properties, this is not possible.
    > Of course, an a or e with hook below shall uppercase to an A or E
    > with hook below, not to an A or E with anything adscripted.

    Isn't there a "vertical line below" diacritic (U+0329) in the general combining characters block, instead of importing a diacritic from the Greek block which has its own specificities for Greek?

    I know it was used for phonologic (syllable marks) or phonetic (additional interlinear notation of stress) or in Yoruba (I don't know what it means there), but isn't it very similar to a subscript I ? Does it absolutely need to be attached like a leg?

    Consider also U+0328 (ogonek) which is more cursive.

    Is there also a dot above this subscrit (i.e. are you sure it denotes some related meaning with I, such as velarization, or L, such as central palatalization for a more "liquid" vowel)? Could it have similarities with the function of a Cyrillic soft sign?

    Before answering those questions, are there cases where the sign is used below a capital?