RE: Should names for sexes be included into CLDR?

From: Don Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2006 - 20:40:29 CST

    I tend to agree with what Mark and John are saying here. Do we need to have such additional descriptors beyond basic information on how to handle time/date, text and numbers (essentially) for a particular language/script/country? The way I understand it, there are a *lot* of “locale data” for various fundamental and attributed social and physical specifications (of which gender is only the first or one of the first to come to mind) conveyed in the languages themselves (and their dialects, dictionaries, slang, professional usage, poetics of speech, etc., etc.). And these may not need to be spelled out in CLDR at all.

    Maybe I’m missing something here, but how would gender data facilitate localized interfaces in a way that specifying currency symbols, decimal markings or alphabet/sort order do? If it’s for something like a welcome page that, in a greeting in a particular language, needs to use a masculine or feminine forms, couldn’t that be written in the software if the language needs it? (By way of explanation: there are cases where, as a member of some online community, the welcome page in English might, when you log on, be programmed to display “Good morning” or whatever depending on the time of day, but in some other languages it might need a gender specific greeting – which it would know only by information one entered as part of becoming a member … but that’s data and not locale data isn’t it?).

    Don