IE7

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@columbia.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2006 - 12:28:40 CST

    Just installed IE7 on a computer where I also have a large variety of
    Unicode fonts (including Code 2000 and 2001), and where, in both IE6
    and FireFox, my UTF8 sample page:

      http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html

    comes out almost perfectly (the only characters that don't show up
    correctly are the Gothic ones).

    In IE7, there is a lot of breakage:

     . In the currency symbols at the top of the page
     . The ever-problematic yogh character in Middle English
     . In the "I can eat glass" section:
         3. Classical Greek: 7 characters missing
        29. Romanian: 2 missing
        40. Middle English - yogh
        42. IPA - 6 missing
        45. Gothic - still completely nonfunctional
       105. Twi - 2 missing
       108. Yoruba - 1 missing
       114. Burmese/Myanmar: completely broken
       116. Vietnames Nom: 3 missing
       119. Mongolian: completely broken
       127. Hawaiian: some missing
       128. Marquesan: ditto
       130. Navajo: ditto

    and so on. Plus in other pages, where I often use glyphs such as ▶
    (right-pointing black triangle) for navigation arrows, these are all broken
    too.

    Now I'm sure there is some fiddling I could do to compensate, but why must
    every user on the planet go through the same discovery process or, worse,
    dismiss perfectly good web pages because they aren't "IE7 compliant".

    I suppose we'll be hearing a lot about IE7 in the coming weeks; it certainly
    seems to break a lot of stuff. One example I thought was kind of funny...
    when validating pages at the W3C Validation Service, one often gets
    nonsensical complaints like "document type does not allow element 'blah'
    here" unless it's inside something like an OBJECT. To shut up the
    complaints I would dutifully put <object>...</object> around the offending
    constructions. It seems IE7 doesn't like <objects> one bit! It displays
    them as a little blob.

    - Frank