Re: Fwd: Creative commons' license symbols

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2006 - 18:37:35 CST

    > At 14:31 -0800 2006-11-22, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    >
    > >Symbols for encoding as characters in Unicode cannot be encumbered
    > >with some particular group's claim to control their exact shape,
    > >appearance, meaning, function, and usage rights.
    >
    > There's the ESTIMATED SIGN.

    Yeah, and U+3004 JAPANESE INDUSTRIAL STANDARD SYMBOL
    and so on.

    The one thing you can be sure about for Unicode is that
    there is going to be an exception to every rule.

    In fact there is an exception to *that* generalization,
    because the *second* thing you can be sure about is that
    whatever entity gets placed on the table, if there is
    enough push behind it, it is going to get encoded
    as a character eventually.

    Maybe even the commacomma, or the hemisemicomma, or whatever
    it is.

    But before we conclude anything about four commons
    license symbols, maybe somebody should contact
    Creative Commons and see what *they* think:

    http://creativecommons.org/contact

    And keep in mind that these folks are dedicated to
    "Enabling the legal sharing and reuse of cultural,
    educational, and scientific works" with emphasis on
    the *LEGAL* part of that. They are one of the most
    carefully lawyered up legalistic manifestations
    of the let's-share-everything movement -- the polar
    opposite of the kazaa, squidoo, and myfreemusics of
    the internet.

    --Ken