Re: Fwd: Creative commons' license symbols

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2006 - 08:34:25 CST

    At 13:39 +0100 2006-11-24, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

    > > >Encoding requests are very often accompanied by political
    >> >statements (the N'ko is, again, a good example). Unicode should be
    >> >about the facts (charecters in use), not about what you think of
    >> >the political agenda of the people who request it.
    >>
    >> N'Ko was not encoded for "political" reasons.
    >
    >I never said so. I said that N'ko was encoded *despite* (or
    >*regardless of*) the (noisy) political agenda of its promoters.

    I'm sorry, this does not characterize the people who use and promote
    the N'Ko script. N'Ko is a literary and literacy movement, rooted in
    non-European tradition, and is a source of much good in the
    Manden-speaking region.

    N'Ko was encoded because it met a genuine user need for a script
    which is taught to children in schools.