RE: "Universal Character Set"

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2007 - 18:35:33 CST

    From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On Behalf Of Michael Everson

    > I use it all the time, on principle. The Universal
    > Character Set is a term which subsumes both the Unicode
    > Standard and ISO/IEC 10646.

    Well, that depends on what one assumes "the Unicode Standard", "ISO/IEC 10646" and "character set" to mean. I use UCS to refer to the abstract character repertoire that is coded by the Unicode Standard and ISO/IEC 10646, and even to refer to the coded character set that is common to both; but each of those standards is more than just a character repertoire or coded character set.

    Peter