RE: "Universal Character Set"

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 02:13:41 CST

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2007, Peter Constable wrote:

    > I use UCS to refer to the abstract character repertoire that is coded
    > by the Unicode Standard and ISO/IEC 10646,

    So did I, but then I realized that "UCS" is a not just a repertoire but a
    coded character set according to its definition in ISO/IEC 10646. The
    _name_ of the standard carries the abbreviation, with its official
    expansion: "Information technology - Universal Multiple-Octet Coded
    Character Set (UCS)".

    > and even to refer to the
    > coded character set that is common to both;

    For such purposes, "the Unicode set" is more understandable to most
    people.

    > but each of those standards
    > is more than just a character repertoire or coded character set.

    Certainly, but the standards themselves are not a problem in naming: they
    are the Unicode Standard and the ISO/IEC 10646 standard, with a version
    number or other specific identification as needed