Re: "Universal Character Set"

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2007 - 19:32:56 CST

    On 2/17/2007 2:55 PM, Mark Davis wrote:
    > At least for English speakers, I've found a strong anecdotal
    > correlation between those who say UCS or ISO 10646 and those who say
    > "octet" instead of byte.
    >
    > *73,600,000* for *byte
    > **7,650,000* for *octet*
    >
    > As with your case, the problem is separating out the non-computer usage.
    >
    > *29,300,000* for * byte
    > <http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=dict&ei=nofXRai5HKL-gwOqj_yuBg&sig2=DP7OI4TVeGG7Sv7L863Mgg&q=http://www.answers.com/byte%26r%3D67&usg=__Zr60P2bC7-JeyvzYT5eTNnpbvYc
    > computer
    > <http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=dict&ei=nofXRai5HKL-gwOqj_yuBg&sig2=-Sc2pvcV3Je56nYsjxp6YQ&q=http://www.answers.com/computer%26r%3D67&usg=__M4B4zoi0OLkSJhbH_1uO898OW1Q
    > **1,030,000* for * octet
    > <http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=dict&ei=h4fXReHrDIH6hAOy7MioBg&sig2=Mlwi_cM72RfCCAlrUXt5Kg&q=http://www.answers.com/octet%26r%3D67&usg=__Dn_wZA2t1N5tn7GnbyiN15nQ9r8
    > computer
    > <http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=dict&ei=h4fXReHrDIH6hAOy7MioBg&sig2=cTziEI6YKT02zxLGMGuQ1g&q=http://www.answers.com/computer%26r%3D67&usg=__Dkr_BRAT8x-v_GHXL84yR22NjK8
    > *
    > Mark
    And 14 million for "byte" plus "bit"
    and 1 million for "octet" plus "bit"

    But wait, the story is more complex than that.

    Searching for 10646 together with either "octet" or "byte" gives a 1:1
    ratio of usage
    Searching for UCS together with either "octet" or "byte" gives a 1:2
    ration of usage
    Searching for "character" together with either "octet" or "byte" gives a
    1:3 ratio of usage
    Searching for Unicode together with either "octet" or "byte" gives an
    almost 1:4 usage

    A significant fraction of all of these must use both octet and byte,
    because searching
    for both of them gives a number of hits that are relatively high
    compared to the number
    of hits for any of the combinations.

    Interestingly enough, the number of non-English pages using octet/bit is
    about 10%, while
    for byte/bit the overwhelming number of hits are from non-English sources..
    For languages the numbers do not add up, some documents must be
    classified as belonging
    to multiple (or all) languages, but the huge ratio in the case of byte
    bit is interesting.

    A./