Re: Telugu Unicode in Win 98 / Me

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2007 - 11:07:06 CST

    On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Ravi Kumar. wrote:

    > I am developing a Telugu website (www.eetaram.net) using Unicode. It does
    > not work on Win 98 / Me. Does Unicode not work in Win 98 / Me. If so, is
    > there a way to to make it work?

    Common Web browsers on Windows 98 or ME can handle Unicode encoded (UTF-8)
    pages fine. However, the fonts in use may - on any system - lack some of
    the characters you need. Old Windows systems were often shipped with
    limited fonts installed, so users had to install additional fonts (from
    the Windows CD or elsewhere) to see text in "exotic" languages ("exotic"
    relative to the environment where the computer was sold).

    I just tested your site on an old Windows 98 system, using IE 6, and I
    don't see any character-related problems there. People who have
    difficulties with the page might consider installing the
    "internationalization" support that might not be installed in some Windows
    98 installations.