Re: Telugu Unicode in Win 98 / Me

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2007 - 11:41:25 CST

    On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > I just tested your site on an old Windows 98 system, using IE 6, and I don't
    > see any character-related problems there.

    Analyzing the page a bit more, I realized that it does not contain the
    Telugu characters I see on screen. Instead, it contains strings of ASCII
    characters that are passed to a JavaScript function "translate" that
    converts them into strings of Telugu characters.

    That's not a robust approach. It fails when JavaScript is disabled in the
    user's system, or filtered out by a company firewall, or executed by a
    JavaScript implementation that does not meet the author's expectations.
    But as I wrote, it works on fairly old systems, too - when JavaScript
    execution is enabled.

    I'm sure there are editors that would let you type Telugu characters
    directly into HTML documents. If you need to work with a setting that uses
    ASCII input, using some special code for presenting Telugu characters as
    strings of ASCII characters, it would be safer to perform the conversion
    server-side.