Re: phonetic alphabet

From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault@labri.fr)
Date: Mon May 14 2007 - 06:52:20 CDT

    Hi,

    Jukka K. Korpela, le Mon 14 May 2007 13:07:27 +0300, a écrit :
    > On Mon, 14 May 2007, Samuel Thibault wrote:
    >
    > >I'm currently writing a braille table for the phonetic alphabet, and
    > >there are a few phonetic characters that I haven't been able to find in
    > >Unicode, namely arabic KHA, CHAN and english A in about.
    >
    > I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. The list contains just a
    > relatively small subset of IPA characters.

    I know. I forgot to say that I'm working out the braille table from an
    UNESCO document, which does not cover everything. But it should be a
    start for a better table.

    > And I cannot see why many of the phonetic characters would be "useless
    > in braille".

    Because there are much simpler ways to express them in
    braille. Sometimes the document says which ones, sometimes not, and I
    don't know the matter enough for deciding what should be done, so I left
    it as comment.

    > Anyway, Arabic KHAH (KHA', KHA), U+062E is normally described as having
    > the phonetic value denoted in IPA by [x] (i.e., the small Latin letter x),

    Ah. On the document I have, it's an x with a long bottom right leg.

    > and the "a" in English "about" is SCHWA in IPA, i.e. U+0259.

    Ok. It looks like in the document I have they turned the 'e' letter in
    the wrong direction (upside down instead of turning it 180°).

    > I have no idea of what you might mean by CHAN as an Arabic letter or
    > sound.

    Ok, it shouldn't be a problem.

    Samuel