data sources

From: William J Poser (wjposer@ldc.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon May 28 2007 - 17:07:32 CDT

    John Jenkins wrote:
    >When you send in your data file, let us know where the data came
    >from. The data should be in the public domain or covered by a license
    >consistent with the rest of the Unihan database. In particular, this
    >means that we can't accept data from GPL sources.

    This doesn't sound right to me. Data per se cannot be copyrighted,
    though particular presentations of data can be. Copying an entire
    compilation of character data released under the GPL or with other
    copyright restrictions would be a problem, but even verbatim copying of
    modest portions of such a compilation falls under fair use, and
    non-verbatim use of data is not subject to copyright at all.

    So, granting that one has to be careful about how one uses data obtained
    from copyrighted sources, the above statement seems overly restrictive.

    Bill