Re: Phetsarat font, Lao unicode

From: Brian Wilson (bountonw@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 11:38:09 CDT

    The Lao convention goes back at least to the 1920's as one of the
    dictionaries I have is a reprint of that. The other is from the ministry of
    education. I have seen primers from various eras. So there is consensus in
    Laos for using an x to represent Lao vowels without a base consonant.
    Regarding Thai, they use a dash-like symbol. I was just suggesting that
    since a dash is needed for Thai and an x is needed for Lao, then why not
    make them both available to each other.

    I am not sure what kind of consensus is needed. Hebrew and Arabic is
    written from right to left. European language are written from left to
    right. We don't have a consensus on which direction a language should be
    written in, but each language operates well within its own rules. Both Lao
    and Thai are legitimate languages. The pedagogical need to refer to vowels
    without a base consonant is not an everyday necessity, but that doesn't
    lesson its validity.

    --
    Brian Wilson, Director
    Mission College Translation Center