Re: Phetsarat font, Lao unicode

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 12:23:49 CDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > Doesn't it suggest that this defines a new, currently unspecified, property
    > for scripts, i.e. the preferred visible base character to use as a symbol
    > for denoting an implied unknown base letter with which a combining character
    > should be displayed?

    It might, except conventions vary and there is usually more than one convention for any
    given script. I think the dotted circle is a fine convention and would be happy to see it
    used everywhere, but publishers and lexicographers etc. have their own established
    conventions, so we should try to document and support them.

    > But what for Hebrew, some dash or square?

    SBL Font Foundation members have reported four conventions: a circle (non-dotted), a
    square, a baseline stroke and a blank space. The baseline stroke is the most problematic,
    because I'm not sure how this should be encoded (some people have suggested the Arabic
    tatweel character).

    > It's true that it will remain other possibilities, but specifying them
    > somewhere would help font designers implementing at least those for correct
    > rendering.

    A note in the individual script section of the Unicode book would certainly be welcome.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com