RE: Phetsarat font, Lao unicode

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 14:01:35 CDT

    John Hudson wrote:
    > Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > > But what for Hebrew, some dash or square?
    >
    > SBL Font Foundation members have reported four conventions: a circle
    > (non-dotted), a square, a baseline stroke and a blank space. The
    > baseline stroke is the most problematic, because I'm not sure how this
    > should be encoded (some people have suggested the Arabic tatweel
    > character).

    I don't think that the Arabic tatweel would fit well in Hebrew text, due to
    the script break and implementation difficulties that such break implies. We
    can accept using characters that are part of the "Common" script, but mixing
    Hebrew and Arabic scripts in the same grapheme cluster is a bad idea.

    It would be even much better to use the ASCII underscore if it did not cause
    problems with Hebrew diacritics written below the baseline, as the
    underscore usually occurs below the baseline too, at the same position as
    underlining.

    (I just wonder how one can underline an Hebrew text that contains diacritics
    below base letters, I think this presentation style is not appropriate or
    the underlining must be temporarily interrupted, the same way it occurs in
    fine typography when underlining Latin text with descenders or diacritics
    below the baseline, to avoid collisions...)