RE: Generic base characters

From: Michael Maxwell (mmaxwell@casl.umd.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2007 - 15:01:12 CDT

    Kent Karlsson wrote:
    > That would be better than inserting spurious dotted circles.

    I'm wondering if we aren't confirming the (Sapir-)Whorf hypothesis here. Or to put it more simply, the disagreement has arisen from an ambiguous usage of the word "insert". AFAIK, these dotted circles are *displayed*, but they are not *inserted into the text* (that is, they are not there in the underlying text store). Are you really saying that you do not want dotted circles to be *displayed*? Because when we are entering Indic script text (for example), I have found it very helpful to have something obvious appear on the screen that indicates I made a mistake at the level of the script. (Well, it would be even more obvious if the circles were red :-).)

    Errors at the level of spelling seem obviously different, and nowhere as easy to detect. But maybe what you're saying is that entering (say) a Bengali vowel sign without preceding it by a Bengali consonant is not really different from a spelling error, so that stranded vowel-sign is something that should be caught by a spell checker, not by the script rendering engine.

      Mike Maxwell
      CASL/ U MD