Triple vowels (was: Generic base characters)

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2007 - 08:29:01 CDT

    Hello,

    Kent Karlsson schrieb:
    > Having three same-vowels in a row is an "error" of sorts in the Latin script
    > (I would assume for all languages, but I'm not entirely sure of that).

    Just for the record: There are perfectly legal German words with three equal
    vowels in a row, e. g. “Seeelefant” [ʹzeːʔeleˌfant] (Mirounga angustirostris,
    or Mirounga leonina). The reason: German features “compound words”, and a
    word ending with a double-vowel may well be joined to a word starting with
    a vowel.

    Even words with four equal vowels in a row are conceivable, though very
    artificial, e. g., “Zoooologie” [ʹtsoːˌʔoʔoloˌgiːl] (Science of birds’ eggs,
    as applied to zoos).

    However, § 45 of the official spelling rules
    <http://www.ids-mannheim.de/reform/regeln2006.pdf> allows to mark the joint
    by a hyphen, as in “See-Elefant”, “Zoo-Oologie”, so you probably will not
    see many of these triple, and quadruple, vowels, in the wild.

    Cheers,
       Otto Stolz