RE: Where is the First> Last> convention documented?

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2007 - 11:37:31 CDT

    > From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On
    > Behalf Of Stephane Bortzmeyer

    > To my surprise, I cannot find a mention of the First> Last> notation
    > in http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UCD.html, which only mentions
    > the "X..Y" form to describe a range.

    > So, where is it documented?

    In UCD.html, in the section UCD File Format:

    <quote>
    For backwards compatibility, in the file UnicodeData.txt a range is specified not by the form "X..Y", but by their start and end characters. In such cases, the names of characters in the range are algorithmically derivable. Surrogate code points and private use characters have no names. See [U5.0] for more information.
    <quote>

    Peter