Re: Where is the First> Last> convention documented?

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@nic.fr)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2007 - 04:14:56 CDT

    On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 12:54:07PM -0700,
     Kenneth Whistler <kenw@sybase.com> wrote
     a message of 39 lines which said:

    > And by popular demand -- since the documentation in that section
    > wasn't very enlightening -- the version of UCD.html under
    > development for the Unicode 5.1.0 beta now has a much more explicit
    > statement

    Excellent! I applaud.

    This leads to another issue in the database format, which I prefer to
    discuss here first: why are they ranges in UnicodeData.txt rather than
    explicit records for every character? Being explicit would avoid
    generating names for the implicit records (something which is not
    obvious and not well documented, IMHO).

    Or, a variant, why not a DervivedUnicodeData.txt file with the
    all the characters?