Re: Western musical symbols font

From: Raymond Mercier (rm459@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 10:28:29 CDT

    >> This of course cheerfully ignores any claim to copyright in those
    >> non-Unicode fonts.

     Marnen Laibow-Koser writes

    > Quite true. I do not think that the act of moving glyphs (unmodified) to
    > different code points violates the *spirit* of copyright regulations, at
    > least if one does not distribute or claim authorship of the resulting
    > font. YMMV.

    Of course the last proviso is the critical one, and is in fact hard to
    honour, since if you make a font from someone else's glyph designs, and then
    use it for your documents, this is but a short step from distributing it.
    The intellectual property lies in the truetype strokes that make up the
    glyph, so if it really is moved unmodified you run a greater risk of
    violating the copyright than if you actually made serious changes.
    But I stop there, since there is nothing worse than a lot of heavy-handed
    moralising.
    Regards
    Raymond Mercier