Re: Western musical symbols font

From: Hans Aberg (haberg@math.su.se)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 10:02:52 CDT

    On 17 Sep 2007, at 15:45, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >> I will try to use it with LilyPond, and foremost the one without a
    >> stroke. I describe it here:
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.theory/browse_thread/
    >> thread/ 367ccb9d3ccd1bbc/bf2b66c74fda8ace#bf2b66c74fda8ace
    >
    > Just out of curiosity, as a LilyPond user: Is the problem that
    > LilyPond doesn't use this particular ornament because of bad font
    > coverage, or that it does use it and displays a .notdef glyph
    > because of bad font coverage?

    I got it working in LilyPond by merely installing Euterpe (Mac OS X)
    as a system font("Computer" in Font Book", not "User"), and then
    using a UTF-8 source code file (which I create using Xcode). Input
    source may be
       fis16^\markup {...}
       cis^\markup {\override #'(font-name . "Euterpe") {...}}
    where "..." is U+1D19D encoded as UTF-8 in the source-file. It also
    works with the U+1D1A0 U+1D19D combination.

    So the problem is only that there is no font with the right glyphs
    installed.

    One can then go ahead making a function. - LilyPond has Scheme in it,
    in the form of Guile, I think.

    Normally, one would write \prall to get the Pralltriller (inverted or
    upper mordent), for example \fis\prall. This then expands to an
    ornament that looks like the combination U+1D19C U+1D19D (two peaks
    and two valleys).

       Hans Åberg