Re: New Public Review Issue: Proposed Update UTS #18

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@roadrunner.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 01:16:38 CDT

    "Mike" <mike dash list at pobox dot com> wrote:

    > I had to look up maven in the dictionary, and it means (according to
    > Princeton University), "someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any
    > field." So I guess I should be flattered, but when I first read it,
    > it sounded like an insult. In truth, I have been just a user of
    > regular expressions (using the excellent pcre project) until May of
    > this year, when I decided to try implementing them myself.

    "Guru" probably would have been a more recognizable word for what I had
    in mind: an expert's expert. On no account did I mean any insult.

    > I don't consider what I do to be "dinking around" as I'm sure you
    > wouldn't say you dink around with language tags in describing your own
    > work.

    That was a poor choice of words on my part, and I apologize for it.
    Regex enhancement is one of those fields that tend to attract both
    seasoned professionals and dilettantes, especially in this open-source
    age, and it's not always easy to tell who's who.

    I'm certainly a knuckle-dragger when it comes to regular expressions; I
    use the most basic 20% of the original 1970s Unix regex syntax almost
    every day, but always have to consult references for anything beyond
    that. That's why I usually stay out of regex discussions, and shouldn't
    have gotten into this one, and will now bow out before I do any more
    damage.

    --
    Doug Ewell * Fullerton, California, USA * RFC 4645 * UTN #14
    http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/