Re: Fish (was Re: Marks)

From: vunzndi@vfemail.net
Date: Fri Sep 28 2007 - 18:53:33 CDT

    Quoting Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>:

    > On 9/28/2007 2:37 PM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >> Why not proposing the historical Christian fish symbol at this date (April
    >> 1st)?
    >>
    > You haven't been in the US in a while, apparently, or you'd know that
    > the fish symbol is widely used there. I'm not (just) referring to its
    > use as a symbol on cars, but in print and other advertising to label
    > commercial enterprises owned by or catering to the "true believers".
    >
    > While I'm surprised that it hasn't been proposed before, it's clear
    > that it's so far out of the realm of character encoding that it can be
    > safely considered an April Fool's joke.

    Now the criteria should be the same as for other symbols. The fish
    symbol is not copyrighted, so the question then is how widely used is
    the symbol in text.

    An English name for the symbol is 'ichthys'
    <en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthys>, though the spelling 'ichtus' is also
    common, both get very high google ratings, the fish symbol is clearly
    widely known. The only question remains is is it used widely in a text
    like situation, as for example a comparison to the recent n3341
    <http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3341.pdf> shows.

    John Knightley

    This message sent through Virus Free Email
    http://www.vfemail.net