Re: logos, symbols, and ligatures (RE: Encoding Personal Use Ideographs)

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2007 - 15:25:31 CST

    ¦b Nov 4, 2007 1:35 AM ®É¡A Jukka K. Korpela ¼g¨ì¡G

    > Typographic ligation is generally not a character-level issue at all.
    > Expressive ligatures may be, and and they may even be coded as
    > separate
    > characters (though company logos won't, as a policy matter).

    I really doubt that the UTC would ever consent to encoding additional
    Latin ligatures any more than it would encode additional precomposed
    accented Latin letters. The ones that we have are present in the
    standard for the sole purpose of providing round-trip compatibility
    with older standards (e.g., MacRoman).

    =====
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com