Re: Encoding Personal Use Ideographs

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2007 - 15:33:17 CST

    I swore I wasn't going to post anything more to the threads on this
    topic, but since James is a rational and reasonable human being, I'll
    break my vow.

    ¦b Nov 4, 2007 12:23 AM ®É¡A James Kass ¼g¨ì¡G

    > If IDS use would accomodate roughly 80% of CJK characters,
    > and if Unicode allows applications to form glyphs for IDSequences,
    > and if users need to represent as-yet-unencoded or never-to-be-
    > encoded "characters" right now in plain text, is there a problem
    > in using IDSequences to do so?

    Yes. There are several problems. A FAQ has just been added to the
    Unicode Web site to call attention to them <http://www.unicode.org/faq/han_cjk.html#24
    , but:

    1) IDSs are inadequate to provide acceptable rendering;

    2) Normalization of IDSs would be necessary for operations such as
    searching and sorting and is an absolute nightmare; and

    3) It is generally felt that making up *new* ideographs is a Bad Thing
    and ought not be encouraged.

    I won't say that the UTC or WG2 will absolutely oppose any and all
    compositional models for Han, *but* the bar is very high indeed. This
    approach has been bruited in Unicode pretty much since the beginning,
    and the UTC is well aware of the practical problems involved. A
    compositional model won't fly in the UTC unless these problems are
    addressed; for all practical intents and purposes, the UTC would
    require an actual implementation, at the very least.

    =====
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com