Re: Display of Mongolian in Arabic or Hebrew documents

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2007 - 12:00:16 CST

    On 20/11/2007, Eric Muller <emuller@adobe.com> wrote:

    > > Question: what is the practice (if any) when embedding a short
    > > fragment of Mongolian in Arabic or Hebrew text? In particular, if
    > > rotated 90 degrees, is it clockwise or counter clockwise? Supporting
    > > scans would be welcome.

    I don't know how Uyghur and Mongolian text are traditionally embedded
    within each other, as I have no pre-computer examples to go on.
    However, with a little help from google I have been able to find some
    discussion of this issue in Chinese, although it seems to be mostly
    descriptive of what various computer systems do rather than
    prescriptive of what they should do. For example, page 19 of this
    presentation (少数民族语言文字信息化) from 2005 shows various combinations of
    mixed Chinese, English, Tibetan, Mongolian and Uyghur text:

    <http://www.cmex.org.tw/cmex/documents/paper/CDF0304.pdf>

    Note that the examples in the top right corner show Mongolian,
    English, Chinese and Uyghur embedded in the same line within the
    context of a Uyghur (RTL) locale, but yet the Mongolian text reads
    LTR, just the same as it does in the Chinese (LTR) locale (as shown in
    the top left corner of the same page).

    From this it would seem that the evolving convention is to render
    Mongolian LTR when embedded in both LTR and RTL scripts.

    Andrew